The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for this opportunity you will have:
- An associate’s degree or other acceptable current certification (such as MCSE, MCP), or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least three to five years of system administration experience; including experience managing multiple network operating systems (Windows, LINUX/UNIX), Active Directory, SCCM, Group Policy, DHCP, DNS, various Web Services and Exchange Server.
- Strong knowledge and experience with PC and Mac hardware and software technology as well as shared network resources.
- Experience in a virtualized environment, preferably VMware ESX.
- Experience with enterprise backup systems and software, preferably EMC Networker.
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills and the aptitude to communicate complex technical information to all users.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills, with the ability to multi-task.
- The ability to succeed in a deadline-driven, detail-oriented environment.
- Hardware, software, and operating system installation, support, monitoring and maintenance experience.
- A self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- The ability to work a flexible schedule.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Experience with VoIP systems, Mac (10.x), Virtualization, fiber & iSCSI SAN/NAS.
- Experience with Firewalls, Proxy servers, IDS/IPS .
- Workflow automation systems and newspaper prepress and production system experience.
- Experience with XML, Java, and scripting.
The RoleReporting to the Infrastructure Manager, you will provide system administration support for Windows, Macintosh, and Linux environments along with various applications support, task/project management, high-level help desk support, work group integration and documentation. You’ll join a team that includes two other System Administrators, a Network Administrator and two Help Desk Technicians who provide first-level support. We’ll look to you to analyze, recommend, and evaluate new hardware, software, and communications products for system compatibility and applicability.
In addition to working with your team to ensure correct and consistent problem resolution, you will also interact with a multitude of external vendors including our hosting sites, content system, Advance Publications Inc., and others. Your help desk activities support all of our internal end users—from the Production department to the Sales, Advertising and Art groups—and your ability to effectively communicate with each user will be key.
More specifically, you will:
- Develop and support a stable and scalable infrastructure, providing server diagnostics and troubleshooting.
- Manage project planning and deployment of system and server upgrades. Support various operating system configuration, maintenance and deployments.
- Quickly and accurately assess and resolve desktop, server, applications and network problems and participate in after hours and weekend on-call support rotation.
- Develop and maintain server documentation, maintaining system configurations and following change control policies.
- Develop and maintain oversight of appropriate security procedures and policies. Safeguard systems from viruses, unauthorized users, and damage to data. Comply with PCI guidelines for network and systems.
- Establish backup/restore process per departmental guidelines.
- Provide troubleshooting and maintenance support for remote users and site-to-site VPN.
- Provide mobile device management of smart phones and tablets.
- Work independently or in a team to assess business requirements and translate them to specific IT requirements to deliver business solutions.
- Provide solutions to new business ideas and concepts using current systems or identifying new technologies that are efficient, cost effective and customer friendly.
- Troubleshoot application and database issues and resolve or elevate in a timely and professional manner.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will be self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment. Although your technical prowess will be crucial, just as important will be your ability to communicate effectively with colleagues throughout all positions and departments of the organization—from leadership to individual contributors. We’re looking for someone who can talk to every level of user and translate complex technical information into facts and knowledge that are easy for non-technical users to understand.
Documentation is a major focus of this role, and you’ll need to gain an in-depth understanding of our systems and the documentation function in an effort to keep processes transparent and allow other members of the team to pick up where you left off. We are growing and changing at a rapid pace and utilizing the latest technologies along the way. You should be proactive about "getting into the mix," sharing your good ideas and speaking up when you think something could be done better. You will need to be able to take general directions, assume ownership of your projects and activities, work out the details and achieve goals autonomously. Conversely, it will be essential that you are also able to serve as part of a team, working together for the greater good.